ISOPRENE DREAMS

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Darjeeling Limited


I saw the new Wes Anderson last night - - my girlfriend had been dying to take me (and I was pretty stoked to check it out, myself) -- and I have to say I really enjoyed it, very much.

I liked the simplicity of its set-up, and how it really stuck with the three brothers throughout their journey on the Darjeeling express. My comment to my girlfriend as we walked out of the theater, was that it was "Tenderer" than the previous Wes Anderson flicks, and that's the principal feeling behind why I liked it so much. There was less pretension to this movie, less characters, less complexity, and that made for a more straightforward and enjoyable ride.

Owen Wilson was great as the eldest son. Adrien Brody was well cast as one of his brothers; they both got that misshapen-nose thing going on. And Jason Schwartzman, well don't ask me why he wasn't in The Royal Tenenbaums - at least I don't recall him starring in that - and I personally feel he should at least have a minor starring role in every Wes Anderson movie, by definition.

I realized something about Wes Anderson's movies, and its that they play across the screen like giant kid's books, only for adults. There's a simplicity of plot elements and goings-on that reminds me of turning the pages in a children's book, I can't really explain it any better than that. Darjeeling Limited is no exception; if anything, that sense of being guided through a narrative intent on enlightening its audience (the way children's books do) is even more pronounced in this movie, and to pretty good effect, I might add.

By now its no secret that Wes Anderson's movies have a quirky sensibility to them that is not to everyone's tastes. That, of course, makes them even more special to those of us who have acquired this taste. I'd wager The Darjeeling Limited is no exception: you'll either love it or hate it.

I loved it. It wasn't as bombastic nor epic in scope as Tenenbaums, nor was it as in-depth with characterizations as The Life Aquatic; but there was real charm in its simplicity and directness about the three brothers struggling to overcome each other's differences whilst on their spiritual journey across India.

Another fine addition to the growing, eclectic canon of Wes Anderson's films.

No comments:

Post a Comment